You are here

Subsidized Housing

Here's an excellent resource document from the National Reentry Resource Center called the Housing Reentry Mythbuster.  Additionally, become familiar with this Housing Non-Discrimination Directive to protect rights for those with criminal records (Housing and Urban Development Secretary, April 2012), and related details and links

Also, you can refer to the U.S. Housing and Urban Development - Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) for detailed information for direct payment assistance for housing, if eligible.

Additionally, here is the U.S. Dept of HUD web links to many other sites for information and help with housing programs and topics.

If you're struggling to make your rent payments, you may be able to find assistance from your local Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office. These offices offer rental assistance programs like privately-owned subsidized housing, public housing, and housing choice vouchers. 

You may also be able to find help from your state housing authority or your local public housing agency.

Get help paying your rent and find additional resources if you are a veteran, senior citizen, or live in a rural area.

If you or someone you know is homeless, contact your local homeless assistance agency to get help. These agencies can help you find temporary or permanent housing options, as well as connect you with local food banks and health care programs.

If you're a homeless veteran, the Veterans Administration offers safe housing, job opportunities, and health care options. You can learn more online or by calling 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838). Service members, veterans, and their families can also find services and resources in their communities with the National Resource Directory mobile app.